One of the things I do is oversee our celebrity engagement rings page where we have created a growing list (45 to date) of these famous rings and offer suggestions for similar rings on our site. A new ring is typically added every week.
Although we often focus on the engagement ring and all the details available, another big part of the story is the way the proposal took place. I’ve gleaned quite a bit of interesting tactics by learning how the stars do it.
One of the most impressive proposals was arranged by Seal when he proposed to Heidi Klum. He took her by helicopter to a very secluded location at 14,000 feet and proposed on top of a glacier, with a little love “igloo” (technically a quinzhee, not an igloo, to be specific) set up nearby with a bed, rose petals, food and champagne. Now, most people can’t do something on such a grand scale, but here are 10 celebrity-inspired, easy engagement proposal ideas that you can use or incorporate into your own proposal.
1. Propose while on vacation, perhaps on a balcony, overlooking the ocean, like Matthew Mosshart and Mike Comrie did.
2. Propose during or after a candlelit dinner, maybe near the Eiffel Tower, like Tom Cruise did.
3. Propose on top of a Ferris wheel, like Pasquale Rotella did.
4. Propose where you had your first kiss, like Prince Andrew did.
5. Propose with a letter expressing all the reasons why you love her and want to marry her, like Ben Affleck did for Jennifer Lopez.
6. Propose on her birthday. Jennifer Hudson, Sarah Ferguson, and Jennifer Garner were all proposed to on their birthdays.
7. Propose on New Year’s Eve, like Russell Brand did.
8. Propose during a helicopter ride, like Bill Rancic did.
9. Propose on the beach, like Charlie Sheen and David Otunga did.
10. Propose with an engagement ring created especially for her, like Justin Timberlake did. In this case, Timberlake incorporated Jessica Biel’s birthstone into the design of the ring.
My personal favorite is No. 5, because the letter, like the engagement ring, will last long after the engagement excitement fades.