Important Engagement Ring Tips: Finger Size
Posted on April 03 2015
One thing that is super important when you are buying an engagement ring is to purchase the ring in the correct finger size. Many men do not know their girlfriend’s finger size and therefore make an educated guess. Is she petite, is she average size, is she tall or short? All of these are good things to consider when taking a stab in the dark to determine finger size. However, it is good to know that woman of the same height, weight and build can have different finger sizes so judging these things isn’t always going to work.
Here are some reasons why it is important to order the correct engagement ring finger size:
- Some rings are not able to be resized. For example, if you buy an eternity style ring, it may be almost impossible to resize up or down and you may need to re-manufacture the ring altogether.
- Some rings are hard to resize. For example, I know that palladium can be a difficult metal to work with. If you have to go up or down a lot, this can sometimes be too difficult. If you buy platinum and the ring has to go down in size, the proper way to size it is cut it, size it and have it lasered.
- If you have an engraving inside the ring and you need to go up or down in finger size, you may have to remove the engraving, re-polish the ring and then engrave it again. This will most likely cost you money that you don’t want to spend.
- If you have diamonds in the ring on the shank or even halo, resizing can jeopardize the integrity of the setting and make diamonds loose over time.
- If you buy from an online retailer such as deBebians.com and you need the ring resized, you will have to send it back through USPS or FedEx and paying for insurance and shipping can get expensive.
These are just a few reasons why it is extremely important to purchase your engagement ring in the correct finger size. Read my blog here, which including sneaky ways to determine her finger size.
If you need help with an engagement ring or loose diamond search, please do not hesitate to call on us. We look forward to hearing from you! Happy shopping!